But is it a museum piece if it has been altered?

Would you say that Picasso's Guernica is hopelessly outdated, and
should be improved by adding a splash of color here and there to make
it more modern? As for bolting a turbo onto a Model T Ford...

If the point is having a computer capable of running modern software,
which seems to be the original poster's intention, he can spend the
same amount of money more wisely, and STILL have a quaint museum piece
as a backup.

I have plenty of museum pieces in my closet. I'm not getting rid of
them, but I'm not eager to use them on a daily basis, either. Life is
too short.