On Aug 24, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> Someone brought in their G5 imac for me to check (she's got HD
> issues), and I booted from an OS X DVD. When I rebooted, I held down
> the mouse button to eject it and it kicked the disk right out onto the
> desktop...is this common? I've never run into it...

Yep, I've got one right here by my left side that thinks it's a skeet
machine too. Apparently this affected first-generation iMacs. To later
models Apple added a kind of foam baffle between the drive and the
case slot "fuzzy" which slowed down the disk's progress. Dunno, but
that might even be an Apple service part that can be retrofitted.
Another solution is to tape a little basket to the side of the iMac,
which is what a friend did.

My guess is that, when new, the "fuzzy" was stiff enough to permit
retention of the ejected disk in the slot. Then, as time and use
loosened up the "fuzzy", there was not enough friction to keep the
disk from flying through the air.

It's quite a shock when the disk comes sailing out and bounces across
the desk that first time, isn't it? :^)

Jim Scott