On Aug 25, 2009, at 2:28 AM, Susan Platter wrote:

> I wish my Cube would do that; I frequently have to eject several times
> before the disk even pokes out far enough to get my fingers on it! :D
> Regards
> Susan

Ooooh...I worked on a Powerbook like that, made me want to go all
"HULK SMASH" on it...it would kick out the disk JUST far enough that
when you tried to grab it, it saw that as an insertion and sucked it
back in.

I ended up very carefully and slowly grabbing the disk with a pair of
forceps and pulling it out.

Then I replaced the <bleeping> drive.

My other funny disk story also happened on a G5 iMac. A user called me
in a panic, she had absentmindedly stuck a 3 1/2" mini disk into her
G5, something  she knew was wrong. I bundled up all my tools, prepared
to disassemble the thing, but I determined that the disk was somewhat
loose.

She'd gone into the other room for something, and came back in just
after I'd disconnected everything, picked it up, turned it so the slot
faced down and shook it hard a couple of times. The disk slipped out
enough for me to grab it...she was expecting some high tech surgery,
and collapsed in laughter at seeing me shake the disk out like a toy
from a cereal box...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona