On Sep 30, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Clark Martin wrote:

> Elliott Price wrote:
>> It would seem like the handle isn't sturdy enough... But it is. I
>> have
>> four G3 iMacs and never had any problems with the handle. Also, just
>> FYI - That part under the handle, that keeps your hand out of the CRT
>> is part of the colored plastic, it won't come off unless you cut it
>> out of the rest of the case.
>
> I've shlepped around a couple of hundred G3 iMacs many (too many)
> times
> each.  I've never had a problem with the handle.

Well, I've had the handle on a couple of slot-loading G3 iMacs come
off as I was lifting/carrying them. It was one of those slow-motion
moments each time, feeling the weight suddenly go away and then
watching the iMac descend to the concrete and crack into smithereens.
Except that once my right foot got in the way first. Yeah, ouch!

Early G3 iMacs, the tray-loaders, have a really strong and almost
break-proof handle design. The slot-loaders have a very flimsy design,
with only four screws holding the handle to the case. After my two
accidents, I always look at the areas where each of the four clear
plastic screw studs on the handle are located. If there is any
cracking, hazing or other sign that even one stud is about to let go,
I pick up and carry the slot-loader by the bottom of the case.

Yes, the clear plastic handle also has some small plastic studs around
the periphery that are melted where they penetrate the colored top
case. But that's a poor excuse for attachment, and every iMac I've
touched (hundreds) in the last couple of years has long since had
those studs popped loose so that you can see as well as feel the whole
handle assembly flex when you lift the iMac. Bad design for lifting,
even though Apple's intent was to create more ventilation area around
the handle than in the fan-cooled tray-loaders (to stay on-topic, sort
of).

Jim Scott