I entered the modern mac era january 2008 with a G4 tower running
Panther 10.3.9 which I soon upgraded to Tiger 10.4.11. I, too wanted to
retain Classic so I didn't get a G5. I also have a  G3 B/W running
Panther and Mac OS 9.2.2. Also a G4 Powerbook 1.6GHz running Leopard
10.5.8. My main production Mac is an old PowerPC 8600 running MacOS 8.6

The G4 Tiger machine is the one I spend 95% of my time on. Three other
Macs are on my LAN and I use DSL. As a matter of fact you might want to
hang onto your G3 as a back-up Mac. A savvy user will have at least 2
working macs. I work in web and graphic design so it's wise to be able
to cover one's behind in case of disaster.

You don't need to buy a new mac; I've always bought second-hand, two off
eBay.