I had that problem with a Mac SE. When I got it open I found a break in the CRT
Tube in the rear. Very dangerous situation. This may not be your problem, but I
would advise against opening up the iMac. Take it to an Apple Certified
Technician and have them diagnose your problem rather than relying on members
of the iMac Group. If it is the CRT, it is cost prohibitive to repair.