At 8:35 PM -0700 1/24/2010, Kasey Smith wrote:
On Jan 24, 2010, at 8:15 PM, Dan wrote:
At 12:23 PM -0800 1/24/2010, Amanda Ward wrote:
I upgraded the 160GB SATA drive in my G5 iMac (first gen) with a Seagate 500GB/7200 drive. After installing the new drive, I noticed the old one had a jumper to force a 1.5GB transfer mode. I didn't put this jumper on the new drive. Everything seems to be working okay. Could this cause any problems down the road?

SATA is supposed to auto-negotiate the speed. There are some crapola interfaces around that fail to do so properly (let's face it, there is a reason some cards are cheap cheap cheap). So drive manufacturers included a mechanism to let you nail the speed down... Macs, using a built-in interface, should never have this problem.

I think you need to be reminded of one of the later MacBook Pros, there was a firmware update that enables the 3.0gb/s and it caused MAJOR issues...

Oh yea. That's the flip side -- the high-end interface vs the cheap peripherals. It ain't pretty either. heh. You pays the big bucks for the high-end laptop but then get cheap when you upgrade the hard drive! For the bonus round, you explode at the laptop manufacturer for providing the better interface!

Hey, let's face it -- them there engineers that design this stuff are idiots. They're worse than the putzes that design kitchens with high cabinets for use by short women. Well, we put up with SCSI Voodoo for years. Then there was IDE/IRQ Voodoo in the PC world. We solved it for a few minutes, with a very cool variant of SCSI-3, formally called IEEE-1394, er a Firewire. So, in the tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, we've jumped back into the muck. Behold: SATA Voodoo!

I know! Let's produce some HDs that have SATA 2 and SATA 3 interfaces (3 and 6 Gbps!) but that can only actually throw data at about 1/2 Gbps. Oh, and let's hide the MTBF numbers, and cut the warranty from 3 years to 3 months! Yea. Let's do that! sigh.

Don't worry. There is faster Firewire, faster SATA, faster USB, faster wi-fi, faster bluetooth, and Light Peak coming!

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.