On 2/5/10 8:47 AM, Dan wrote:
At 9:35 AM -0700 2/5/2010, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On Feb 5, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Dan wrote:
I have complained often... to no avail.

Being behind the times is par for a lot of large businesses. This
occurs when IT groups intentionally set things up so as to maintain
their job security. It's bad planning and bad oversight (management).
OTGH, it's a quite necessary, as the hacker underworld needs it to
survive.

So often, even today, management believes everything the IT department says because they are baffled by the BS. If any other department tried it heads would roll.

To an extent, but in many cases it's out of the local IT
hands....sometimes it's ineptitude or extortion on the part of outside
vendors.
[etc]

That would come under the heading of bad oversight (management).

All too often it comes down to a lack of choices.

Such as computers that are the front end for instruments. The manufacturer ships it with some version of the OS and then for years never updates it. So when the computer front end dies you're stuck either finding an aged replacement for it buying a whole new system, even though the instrument itself is fine.

Or some in house database that uses a web browser front end but it only works with ONE version of ONE web browser on ONE platform.

In either case your only other choice(s) may be just as bad.

Sometimes it's because out outside-imposed rules on the IT people; for
instance by UA policy (handed down by the AZ Board of Regents) it is
mandatory that any system connected to the UA campus network run an
antivirus program.

In theory that includes my iPod. In practice that also means my
netbook running Linux.

Mac OS X IS my antivirus program.

At the school I worked at the district IT people mandated that an AV program be running on all computers. And I was ready to install it as soon as a Virus existed. And the whole district is Mac with the exception of a few computers at the district office and the cafeteria checkout system.

This was the same district IT department that only knew they had a virus on one of their windows servers after I detected it from the school.

It just felt SO good when I stopped banging my head on the wall.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA