I've heard mention of IE7 being more of a 'shuffle' forward (from IE6) rather than a 'step'... although you'd think that at least security would be a little better. IE8 was really much faster, at least to install, on my VPC/WinXP; I was disappointed at having to dump it (due to pages rendering blank). My issue re IE6/7 involves lack of support for transparent PNGs. I don't know if IE8 has support yet.

And unfortunately, IE still has 62% of the market:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/ie8-chrome-have-most-momentum-in-browser-wars.ars?utm_source=Ars+Technica+Newsletter&utm_campaign=8453abf144-February_5_2010_Newsletter&utm_medium=email

Gorka L Martinez Mezo wrote:
While the computers are usually "closed" by the IT department, Firefox reigns in my area. Unfortunately, hospital specific software (laboratory results and Radiology apps) only work on IE, so to use these we have to switch to IE.