On Feb 6, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Clark Martin wrote:

> On 2/5/10 1:34 PM, Caleb Cupples wrote:
>
>> Clark,
>> I pulled the battery first, so I'm sure it's the power supply, now.
>> Now, my next question, to the list is, how much would a new power
>> supply set me back?
>
> Odds are finding a used iMac would be the cheapest route, you just need to
> find out which machines use the same power supply.  AFAIK the slot loaders
> all use a compatible power supply but I wouldn't put any money down on that.

Clark's right. What you're looking for is a PAV board (power/analog/video) that
mounts underneath the CRT on top of the perforated aluminum divider panel. Most
PAVs I've seen for sale on eBay come with the big silver video board thingie
attached via cables. The PAV is not the upconverter board, which is directly
attached to the logic board (on the bottom side of the aluminum divider panel).

Note that there are two PAV boards for the G3 slotload iMacs. There were
providers of CRTs, LG and CPT. The LG name is embossed into the black plastic
molding on the CRT neck. The CPT molding on the CRT neck has no identifying
name at all.

Here's what the service manual says about identifying the boards:

There are two power/
analog/video boards in
service stock. The part
numbers are 661-2465 and
661-2466. These boards
must be exchanged like-for like.
The 661-2465 board can be
identified by the presence of
a switch at location SW901,
located near the flyback
transformer.

Here are the switch instructions:

If the computer has the
analog board with the
switch, the switch must be
set for the type of the CRT
(LG or CPT) tube in the
computer.
If the power/analog/video
board or the CRT are
replaced, make sure to set
the switch to the
appropriate position.

So, if you've got an LG CRT, either PAV assembly will work. Just slide the
switch on the 661-2465 to the end marked LG. If you've got a CPT CRT, you must
have the 661-2465 board; the 661-246 board will not work.
You can easily determine which CRT and PAV board you've got by shining a bright
light through the case in the area underneath the handle.

Good luck ... and check back with us for proper CRT discharge procedures since
I'm sure you don't want to get zapped.

Jim Scott