On Feb 6, 2010, at 10:12 PM, Clark Martin wrote:

> On 2/6/10 12:52 PM, Kevin Avery wrote:
>> I have an indigo iMac 600 DV that I was recently given. There is not a
>> hard drive in it currently. I put an original iMac grey CD in it to
>> see if it would boot. I get the startup bong, but then it goes to a
>> white screen and just stays there.
>>
>> I only tried to boot it off the CD to see if it would boot. Does it
>> require a hard drive to boot? I thought if it couldn't find a hard
>> drive it would get to a screen with the missing folder icon.
>>
>> The guy who gave it to me said it was working before he pulled the
>> drive. I was hoping to set this thing up for my Mom to use.
>
> No, without a harddrive and with or without a CD it should still boot to the
> grey screen with the flashing question mark (and go on if a boot CD is in the
> drive).
>
> Startup bong - good
> White screen - bad
>
> That it bonged is a good sign.  It says the CPU is up and running.  That the
> screen is white implies a video problem.  I would try the usual, PMU reset or
> at least a PRAM zap.  You might also try reseating the RAM.  I don't think
> that's it but it's a good idea anyway.

Try an Open Firmware reset of the video RAM.

Press the power button. As soon as the iMac chimes/bongs, press and hold down
the Option, Command, O and F keys. When the light grey Open Firmware comes up
(it will take a while), take your fingers off the four keys.

At the prompt, type this series of three lines, hitting the Enter/Return key at
the end of each line:

set-defaults
reset-nvram
reset-all

As soon as you hit Enter/Return after the last line, the iMac will chime/bong
and restart. If corrupted nvram was the problem, or if parameter memory was
confused, this should get your iMac to boot to the desktop.

This has worked for me countless times in getting iMacs, iBooks and other Macs
with video-related startup issues/symptoms to boot. Good luck!

Jim Scott