On 2/7/10 12:52 PM, Kevin Avery wrote:

OK, here is the status so far;

All of the troubleshooting have done in the past on this iMac has been
in the dark, now in the daylight the "white screen" looks sort of grey.

I was able to boot it into Open Firmware, I actually could see the words
on the iMac screen. So I issued the above statements one at a time,
hitting return after each one, no help, still a white/grey screen

Was the OF screen faint (ie low contrast)?

In the normal boot process can you see the flashing question mark on a folder (or any other start screen graphic), even faintly?

If you can then all you have is poor contrast and you need to adjust the video controls. It might just be a matter of using the keyboard to adjust the brightness if it will boot or more likely you'll need to open up the case and tweak a pot on the video board. A web search should provide the needed info.

I have reset the PRAM using Option-Apple-P-R and let it bong 4 times,
same result.

Hooking up an external monitor shows "input signal out of range", that
is on 2 different 15" flat panel LCD monitors, one is an NEC and the
other is a Compaq. I have no other monitors in the house to test with.

Those should likely work. They need to be able to display 1024x768 at about 75 Hz.

I have been holding down the C key when trying to boot, i am pretty sure
that I dont need to at this point because I should be getting the folder
icon that comes up when it can't find a boot device.

Correct, you need to get the video working before you worry much about booting the OS (other than above if it gets you to where you can adjust the video settings).

I have also removed and reseated the RAM. And I actually have removed
the third party RAM and left in just the 128mb of Apple branded RAM.
Still the same result.

Good idea.

I removed the battery, it is definitely bad, it tested at 0.66 v DC, and
is supposed to be 3.6 v DC. I tried to boot it without the battery and
have gotten the same white/grey screen result.

iMacs should boot okay without a battery.

I appreciate all of your time and advice.

What should I try next?

Voodoo, swinging a rubber chicken over it, threats, cajolery what ever works.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA