My iMac has Kernel Panic trouble.

It's an Indigo G3, 500-MHz PowerPC CPU, 1 GB SDRAM, made in summer of
2001. Model M5521; model identifier PowerMac4,1; M8582LL/A*.

When I press the startup button, the following appears in dimmed (non-
selected) white print on a black screen (console mode). The text
doesn't scroll up; it appears complete and stationary.

panic(cpu ): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerMac4,1".

Latest stack backtrace for CPU 0:
        Backtrace:
                0x00083498 0x0008397c ... (more of same)

Proceeding back via exception chain:
        Exception state (sv=0x00475500)
                PC=0x00000000; MSR=0x0000D030; ... (more of same)
XCP=0x00000000 (Unknown)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0:
Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

Superimposed over the last three lines of this, and continuing on, is
the following, this time with the text selected:

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power
button for several seconds or press the Restart button.

This is repeated in French, German, and Chinese.

On top of this lies another layer of text, with the following:

No debugger configured  - dumping debug information
MSR=00001030
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
        Backtrace:
                0x00083498 0x00083B48 ... (more of same)
Proceeding back via exception chain:
        Exception state (sv=0x00475500)
                PC=0x00000000; MSR=0x0000D030 ... (more of same)
XCP=0x00000000 (Unknown)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0:
Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

panic: We are hanging here ...

Holding the button down shuts down the computer. When the button is
pressed again, the startup tone sounds, the screen lights up (grey),
the Apple icon appears, and the screen goes black again with the above
text in white. There is no escape from this cycle.

The OS is X 10.3 and the firmware is 4.1.9.

Pressing Command-S at startup to enter single-user mode yields:

IOKit Component Version 7.9
Wed Mar 30 20:07:52 PST; root(rcbuilder):RELEASE_PPC/iokit/RELEASE
panic(cpu 0):Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerMac4,1".
etc. as above.

But no localhost# prompt appears, so I'm no further ahead. Nor does
typing fsck -f help.

I can't try to start up from the original OS CDs because I don't have
them. The Panther Install and Restore disk that I have is a DVD, but
the iMac's slot-loading optical drive takes only CDs. In any case that
drive is not working properly (it won't fully eject a disk even when
the paperclip method is used). I installed OS Panther by loading the
DVD in the Superdrive of a Power Mac G4, and connecting the iMac to
the Power Mac by FireWire disk mode. I can't repeat that because now I
can't even get to the iMac's Finder.

The panic occurred when I was trying to delete a large number of files
and nothing seemed to be happening, other than the spinning of the
beachball. So I pressed the reset button — evidently not a good idea.

A few days before this I had installed RokIt Mac Software for a RokIt
Wireless-G USB adapter card for Apple Mac and Linux  (the iMac doesn't
have an Airport card). I was unable to get the adapter to work,
although a MacBook in the same location picked up the signal from an
Airport Extreme device in the house with no difficulty. Perhaps the
RokIt software is the source of the problem. The adapter was not
plugged in when the kernel panic occurred.

If I loaded my Panther OS Install and Restore DVD disk in an external
FireWire optical drive, or an external FireWire hard drive, would the
iMac find the startup folder there and boot up?

I would appreciate any suggestion of a way to escape from this problem.