Hello Macheads,

I have in my possession a September 2006 model 17" iMac (built
specifically April-June 2007, according to CoconutIdentityCard). It's
your run-of-the-mill 2Ghz Core 2 Duo model, and it has been upgraded
to 3GB of RAM.

Now, I have been through every database, website, forum, etc., and I
find conflicting accounts about the maximum RAM it can take. Most of
them tend to think that, even though it can detect 4 gigs, it can only
address 3 to 3.25GB due to logic board limitations. However, a few
sites like OWC claim that, although the 3GB barrier is real, upgrading
to 4GB will somehow speed up their overall performance. (Of course OWC
is a vendor that sells you computer memory, so I wouldn't stake my
life on their objectivity.)

My question is, would getting another 2GB stick of RAM have any real
impact at all in my iMac's performance, or merely in my wallet? Would
the fact that it's running a 64-bit OS (Snow Leopard) have any effect
on memory use?

TIA

Felix