Thats unusual all right.  The real deal here is that we've got to get the iMac
to boot from somewhere so we can diagnose the drive.  Do you have another
working PowerPC mac with firewire  in your house? You can put that mac in
target disc mode and then use it as a boot drive.  Alternately, you can put the
iMac in target disc mode and connect it to a working mac to run disk utility
and attempt to diagnose the problem.