On Aug 29, 2010, at 6:36 AM, pink74slk wrote:

> Thank you Jim,
>
> please correct me if I did not understand your explanation.
> The LCD monitor of my iMac G4 never turns white, it always remain
> black since the failure happened.
> The only "white signal" is on the TV screen, when booting up from DVD
> Leopard, and the LCD it is slightly black.
>
> Any more insights, or what you told me earlier is still applicable?
> thank to you and everyone is contributing/commenting.
>
> regards, Carlo

Carlo,

Let me try again. A white screen with no data almost always means the inverter
is getting power and illuminates the screen. No data on the screen means the
data signal cable isn't working -- it's broken internally or disconnected or
not connected properly.

>From your description, you've got a problem with the low voltage data signal
>cable not delivering data to the built-in LCD of your iMac G4. I suspect the
>cable is broken or shorted inside the neck. But it could be disconnected or
>not connected probably to the logic board, or to the LCD itself. There also
>could be a problem with the inverter cable. Have you tried shining a very
>bright light on the screen after the iMac has booted? If you can see any
>images -- even faintly -- that means the inverter cable has broken/shorted,
>probably inside the neck

As for your connection to the TV, it's clear that power is getting to the
screen, which is why it turns white. But the video signal or data isn't getting
there. This could be because there's a problem with the video circuitry on your
iMac's logic board, or a problem with the adapter cable or video out port, or
because the video cable to the LCD in the iMac is shorting out the video
circuitry. Or it could be a simple incompatibility between the iMac and the TV
(and you don't say what kind of TV -- flat screen or tube).

Try connecting the video out port to a regular VGA computer monitor instead of
your TV. Borrow one if need be. If you can't get video on the monitor, then
disconnect the video cable to the LCD from the logic board, which will require
some disassembly/reassembly of the iMac. I've had situations where
disconnecting the video cable from the logic board made the external monitor
work, so it's worth a try.

If after all of this you still cannot get a video signal on the external
monitor, then you may have a bad iMac logic board. However, based on the fact
your TV screen does go white, I suspect that your logic board/video circuitry
is OK and that connecting to a standard VGA monitor will work, which means the
no-video problem with the LCD is from the logic board end of the video cable to
the LCD itself.

Hope this helps. It's a bear trying to diagnose this way, but I've given it a
try.

Jim