On Sep 23, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Ashgrove wrote:

On Sep 23, 8:45 pm, Joshua Juran <jju...@gmail.com> wrote:

That would be great if my workflow divided neatly into separate
applications. Sure, I have a space for chat and a space for mail, and
those apps are assigned to those spaces.  But each of them is also
littered with Web windows from clicking on links (or because I
searched for something relevant to a conversation).  And most of my
spaces have a Terminal window so I can quickly do Web searches.

Your workflow is a complicated affair (to put it mildly), so I guess

Yeah, well I prefer to shape my computing environment to the way I think rather than vice versa.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (My apologies for the gender-loaded language.)

you would need to write a particularly versatile utility to help you
with it, or a completely different operating system. You seem more

Indeed. I'm currently working on a cross-platform, scriptable GUI toolkit. It allows you to create things like scrolling documents or an OK/Cancel dialog box -- in a shell script.

than capable to do both, so any advice I can give you is severely
limited by my layman status. (I shudder to think of what one could see
on your computer screen using Exposé.)

So do I. I try to avoid hitting F9 on my iMac -- more often than not the GPU chokes and I have to put the machine to sleep before the graphics will draw correctly again.

However, you could do some workarounds, like assigning different
browsers to different Spaces, and making Terminal available in all
spaces. Another possibility: make your browser available in all
Spaces, and minimize windows to the Dock before switching spaces.

Ooh, don't get me started on the Dock. :-)

Thanks for your suggestions, though.

Josh