I love opening things that I know I can put back together easily (though I
think that's how I broke the floppy drive on my PowerBook 145b), but I use this
iMac as my main workhorse, and will probably do so for at least another year,
so I can't really risk anything going wrong. The most I have ever done to a
computer that I rely on daily is opening up the display housing on my iBook G4
in order to put one of those transparencies to make the glowing Apple logo look
like the old rainbow logo (and that's just about the easiest mod possible on an
iBook G4). Besides, as far as I can tell the white plastic iMacs were built
just like iPods, and I mangled the case of my third generation iPod pretty bad
when I tried to replace the hard drive. Being the technology nerd that I am, I
have a 9" CRT television on my desk that relays everything from my main TV, so
I don't actually need the DVD drive for playing DVDs (which is 90% of what I
would use it for), so when I do need to use the drive it isn't too much of a
hassle to use the index card trick (before I had my current TV setup, though,
it would drive me crazy, so much so that I bought a $20 DVD player from Target
to play through my TV tuner in order to avoid the constant eject problems).

Steven