Yay, I remembered to start a new thread for once!

On 2010/10/27 17:02, Mystic Prowler so eloquently wrote in another thread:

Especially my iMac G5. I turned the energy saver option to "Best" for
performance, and this machine roars louder than my G4 machines combined.

That is my biggest beef with the iMacs, more so than even the lack of upgrade-ability. Well excepting the G3 of course, they are nearly silent. :-) My iMac at four feet from where I sit makes far more noise than my Power Mac which is only two feet away and situated at ear level. Both run at 100% 24/7/365, but you'd think the iMac was doing the majority of the work if you went just by the sound level. I think the half sphere makes a chamber that resonates the sound, or maybe it's the air flow restrictions.

I wonder if enlarging the air inlets and/or outlets would reduce the sound level a little bit? Does anyone on the list have knowledge in this area?

Tina
--

iMac 20" USB 2, 1.25 GHz G4, 2 GB RAM, GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64 MB DDR 10.10
Power Mac June 04, 2 GHz G5 DP, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL 256 MB 10.5.8