On Nov 2, 2010, at 5:29 AM, tvenney wrote:

> Hello all,
> I would like to use my imac 2.8 ghz(10.5 will upgrade to 10.7) to run
> an SDR (Software Defined Radio), But the only programs I can find are
> for Windows. So I would like to hear opinions about the best software
> to run Windows and what version of Windows to use.

I've used all three of the VM solutions for the Mac: Parallels; Fusion and
VirtualBox, and have settled on VirtualBox.

<http://www.virtualbox.org>

It's free, has proven quite reliable, and has rapidly advanced to near feature
parity with the two commercial apps. (be sure to install the 'Guest Additions'
within Windows after installing Windows, it's pretty pokey until the correct
drivers are installed.

However, don't give up on the Mac so easily. GNURadio compiles on the Mac:
<http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/1/MacInstall> (and most of it's in Python
anyway, which is built-in to OS X)

and here's a SDR for the Mac (albeit in German):

<http://homepage.mac.com/smrozek/Sebastian_Mrozek/Software_Defined_Radio.html>

This site should get you more info: <http://www.machamradio.com/>

Since the advent of OS X, it's rarely necessary to go to Windows for stuff
beyond "Corporate sez you have to run program 'X', which is Windows only"; you
can usually find a Mac or open source multi-platform application to do what you
want.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD