On 04/12/2010, at 1:54 AM, Walter Sheluk wrote:

> On 10-12-02 12:58 AM, OzSanta wrote:
>> unless I  can figure out why the input is so low.
>>
> Your problem is certainly perplexing to me.
>
> As we sound engineers sometimes say: be sure you're high and then tone it
> down:
>
> Albeit you are not doing "speech recognition" when you select system
> preferences/Speech then Speech Recognition/Settings Microphone/Internal
> Callibrate button have you made sure the setting is at "high" ?
>
> And when you go to system preferences/Sound/Input are all the settings there
> at "high".
>
> At the moment i forget what it's called but if you are near RadioShack or an
> electronics store there is a  audio microphone "booster" that may help or may
> be the answer for your low input level.

Thanks Tina & Walter.

Tina, I don't want to return this iMac only to find that it's a common fault.

Walter, everything, Speech input, Line in in System preferences/Sound,  & Audio
Midi, is  turned up to the max.

The best I can get is with the usb mic turned up to 20dB, and that's not as
good as sound as my last iMac using the input mic.

The 'M' slider on my new iMac is greyed out in Sound Preferences, and is set
very low. I presume it's the reason for  the low input. Can anyone verify
whether their 'M' slider is active/inactive on an iMac please?

Regards

Santa