On 04/12/2010, at 9:26 AM, Andrew Liu Anderson wrote:

> Santa wrote:
>
>> even shouting will not drive the blue bars past
>> half way.
>>
> Hey Santa!
>  I do audio recording for a small town radio station on both eMac and iBook
> (both G4's), usually using QuickTime. I rarely see the blue bars go up to, or
> even past half way. I assume that Apple uses some sort of audio compression
> scheme to keep folks from clipping their audio.
>  Do you have an audio manipulation program such as "Audacity", that will
> allow you to look at the recorded waveforms after you have saved the file? If
> so, you may find that the RMS levels may be less than half way, but the peaks
> are higher than you were expecting them to be... Audacity will also allow you
> to amplify, compress, equalize (among other things) the sound & resave the
> file if need be.
>
> Cheers,
> Drew

Thanks Drew. That's exactly want I've resorted to, using Audacity to record,
then boosting the signal. There are no high peaks when recording, just low
levels uniformly across the whole waveform. It's a PITA tho, to have to do
that, then paste each track into iMovie.  Using the usb mic at high gain is
picking up breathing, and the internal mic does a better job, just too low.

Regards

Santa