On Jan 4, 2011, at 5:35 PM, logicfire wrote:

> Hello and good evening,
>
> I have a purple iMac, 333MHz with 384MB RAM, and I have been trying to
> attempt Simon Royal's triple boot experience.  (http://
> www.lowendmac.com/ed/royal/10sr/triple-boot-ppc-mac.html)

Note that the 333MHz iMac is one of the first block of iMacs and tends to be
problematic with some things that later G3 iMacs don't have a problem with.

> Some of the issues I've faced along the way have been my own, but this
> new one seems to almost be a limitation of the iMac itself.  When it
> boots into Ubuntu 10.10, it is giving the same error three times "not
> enough video RAM"  before exiting to a prompt.

That iMac has 6Mb of VRAM while the next generation of iMac has 8Mb.  The newer
one also has AGP video while it's unclear about your's but I suspect it isn't
AGP.

> I was going to leave it alone, but then I saw Austin Leed's article
> today about getting Ubuntu 10.10 to work on a 300MHz iBook.

The early iBook has 4Mb of Video memory and it is AGP.  I have put Debian on a
300MHz iBook (IIRC it only had the usual problem of having to manually
configure the Xorg.conf file.)  I've also put Ubuntu 9.04 on a Pismo (8Mb AGP)
with little problem.

> Has anyone attempting this?  If so, do you have any advice to share?

I haven't tried Ubuntu 10 (yet) but 9 seemed to work pretty well.

> I currently have the mac's hard drive partitioned into 3: 1GB for
> System 9, 6GB for OS X, and the remaining 53GB for storage and files.

You're going to have to free up a blank partition if you want to install a
Linux distro.

> Thanks,

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA