On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Dec 22, 2010, at 4:21 PM, vinman wrote:

I managed to buy a copy of Leopard, inserted 1gb of memory and have
got my emac functioning nicely with it but seem to have a problem with
the mail client. Seems not to have recognised the smtp details
although they seem correct in "connection doctor". any advice very
welcome. i have done a further software update also to incorporate all
the most recent non intel updates.

Well, the most common error with this is that Mail will automagically enter your username and password, and attempt to use authenticated SMTP; if your ISP doesn't support that, then sending mail will fail, even though Connection Doctor says it's OK.

I've never allowed Mail to do this. I always enter a bogus password so it will fail and force manual configuration because I don't have reason to believe that automatic setup is making a secure connection.

Finally this is why I love, Love LOVE!!!11!Eleventy!! IMAP mail.

Got a problem with an account on a machine? Just delete it, and recreate it. All the mail lives on the server so you don't lose anything.

Deleting a message from an IMAP mailbox in Mail (at least in Leopard) is not Undo-able. Sure, you can fish it out of the Trash, if you know which one it was and can find it, but that's not Undo.

Josh