At 12:57 PM -0500 01/24/2011, Dan wrote:
At 6:30 AM -0500 1/24/2011, Tom Coradeschi wrote:
At 3:47 PM -0500 01/18/2011, Dan wrote:
That's just bad advice, IMO.
1) Cloud storage systems are NOT secure.

[bla de bla de bla de bla - we have heard all of this from Dan before]

But they're still valid points.

Well, as "valid" as the source can make them.

A better solution would to be give a copy of your (encrypted or not) backup to a *friend*, for storage in his/her sock drawer.

Well, I'll stack up my daily (once per computer) backup to Mozy against your ?how recent? copy at "a friend's house". Any day.

Refreshed (rotated) just last night.

Wowee! Good for you, Dannyboy. My backups refreshed last night, too. And the night before. And the night before that. And...

Well, SEE, it's good to know that you have a backup strategy. Your assumption is that we don't? Wow. Could you possibly re-word that so it sounds less of an attack?

No, not really. You have some good points to make in htis venue. This isn't one of them and my perspective on that is that you are, at best, providing poor guidance, at worst, leading folks down the road to data loss (been there, done that, got the 1500 dollar credit card charge from DriveSavers because my last backup was 2 weeks old). You have your pet rock and you are polishing it.

and I Hope that my buddy didn't decide to use the disk to make offline copies of all his child porn so his wife won't find it...").

If that's a worry then I'd venture that you need new friends.

Speaking of ad homenim attacks.

Bottom line: The subject of this message is "How to make a SOLID Mac backup plan" (emphasis mine). Dropping a copy at a buddy's house every so often is not a SOLID backup plan (read up on latency).
--

tom coradeschi
tc...@skylands.ibmwr.org