I'm wanting to know if there is any danger in setting the system date/time
to a prior date.  Specifically in Snow Leopard.

We are dealing with some software digital certificate expiration issues.
Until the developer gets them fixed, the only way we can use the software is
to set the date/time preferences to a date before the certificate expired.

Some users are concerned that this will spell catastrophe for their systems
because "Unix/Linux based things don't like haivng their dates messed with"
(their wording, not mine).

I maintain that the only things that would be affected are the date/time
stamp on files they save while the settings are changed, possibly any iCal
events created during the change (which can be overwritten by the user), and
that if they use Time Machine the backups might not be dated correctly (and
for that reason I've suggested they shut Time Machine off while their date
is changed).

I just don't believe it will lead to massive system failure.  Who is
correct?

BTW, we are only talking about a date change of a couple weeks, possibly a
month or two.  Hopefully the situation will be resolved before we are
talking years.

--
Carrie