I am technically challenged, ADD-brained Geezer, constrained by dial-
uo connection & low social security income....... & probably shouldn't
be allowed to use a computer but it's my only vice.

Just got a used iMac G4, 800mhz, 512 RAM, 17" screen running OS X
10.4.11 on ebay.  Happy but for a few issues.  After a few days it
began to seem to start up (feel "wind" coming out vents & sounds like
something running) but screen is stone cold dark.  Ocassionally has
started to light up screen & seems to be booting but stops dead in
early stages of booting.  When running is very nice.  Seller said to
be sure the RAM chip in bottom is in solid.  Seemed so but I gave it a
little push & wiggle to be sure.  Started up OK but hasn't been off
all day.

I have sometimes tried to restart while holding the "C" key down.
Often seems to work but not always.  This may be a red herring as far
as solution.  Sometimes forcing a shut off & then just tapping the
button will get it fired up.  Sometimes I just walk away for a bit or
overnite.  Usually seems to start up fine after this but then the
problem will return.  Once started though it always runs fine, hours
on end.

Any tips on what I can look at.
Your help appreciated but please keep it simple as possible,...like
me!

captJ