On Nov 8, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Tina K. wrote:

> I'll take a shot at this and somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.
> Thunderbolt would be the fastest connection, but only you can decide if it's
> worth the money and once the data gets to your iMac the speed gain *might* be
> lost. Next would be eSata though I don't know anything about using eSata with
> a Mac, or if you even can; and then FW 800.

FW800 is more than fast enough for the RAID, and the OS and programs should
remain on the internal HDD, there's no speed gains to be made in video
processing by having the programs on the FW drive, it should be reserved for
the video projects and data. (and you should reformat it every time you
complete a project…this is one of the few places where disk fragmentation can
have an effect.

Use Raid0 if you back up your projects religiously and keep your raw media
separate, for speed, and Raid1 if youwant to maintain maximum uptime, even
through drive failures. You lose half the capacity of the RAID this way, though.

All said, 99% of any time gains to be made in video processing is due to:
Workflow, which has little to do with the hardware, and CPU/RAM which is used
for rendering the video.

iMacs can't USE eSATA or USB3.

Thunderbolt might be faster, but it's really doubtful that it will actually
improve video editing speeds much at all, certainly not worth the added costs,
imo.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona