At 10:34 AM -0800 11/23/2011, D. Fabel wrote:
Looking at Handbrake, it looks like I can either use an H.264 video codec or MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) codec. Any idea which of these I should be using? I don't see a way to use an MPEG-2 or MPEG-1 codec.

DivX, Xvid, and H.264 *are* MPEG-4 variants.  Very cpu intensive.

MPEG-1 is the video format used on the original Video CD. These will easily play on your G3.

MPEG-2 is the video format used on Super Video CD and DVD Video. These may play on your G3, depending on the compression. This is the codec most often done in hardware, on the video card. (newer GPUs now include h.264 decoders also).

ffmpeg is an open-source transcoding engine, used by just about everyone to convert from one video format to another. It contains umpteen codecs. When Handbrake tells you FFmpeg, it means it's selecting one of ffmpeg's codecs over QuickTime's.

Also, I can output to either MP4 or MKV format.  Recommendations?

.mov, .avi, .wmv, .mp4, .mkv are container file formats. Any are fine. What counts is the format of the audio and video data streams within the container.

For your G3... um... Try ripping the DVD to an avi file with Xvid and mp3 audio. See how well that plays back using QuickTime Player with Perian, and VLC. If it stutters, you can try lowering the bitrate. (I suggest mp3 because it's let cpu intensive to decode than other formats).

If that doesn't work... Handbrake is quite limited... Use Handbrake to rip the DVD then use ffmpeg directly to transcode to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.