Snow Leopard requires a copy of Leopard first in order to upgrade to Snow
Leopard and then on to Lion.
I believe that all Intel machines will up grade to Lion.  However, the next OS,
Mountain Lion will not upgrade some of the earlier Intel Macs.

Everything of course should be backed up before doing an upgrade, just in case.

However SOME people are using the iPad without any computer.  That would make
it pretty difficult to get the music on to the iPad however.  So if that is the
goal, then an upgrade will be required.  While iCloud does require Lion, I
believe that iTunes and syncing to the iPad only requires Snow Leopard.

Lynn

Lynn Wegley

See the InfoManager blog at http://www.ugnn.com/