Thanks Bruce, so far so good.  The Pram battery tests at 3.6V just like it says
on the battery, and the model appears to be a Graphics model AGP according to
the apple files.

I've found a replacement for the ACBel API 9841-291 (well at least it's an API
9841 with no 291 but otherwise picture perfect) power supply.   The difference
in the 291 designated alternative is the existence of an outlet for a plug from
the video monitor being possible into the power supply IF you don't plug that
monitor into the grid separately (which is what I do anyway)..  the 291 version
had to come all the way from China and it must have been a slow boat that would
get here a MONTH later according to their speedy delivery statement...  oy..
the supreme court project won't stand for that.

I did find a couple of webpages with instructions for testing (after
installation) and for the replacement itself, so I should be doing my
anti-static dance next week, hopefully...  thanks again for all you people
carefully helping mac-mythical system clingers...

At one point, when the China trip was frustrating common sense, I was about to
consider buying another one of the ancient 'ones', possibly a little newer but
not so new as to lose the original mythic-quality.  Right..?  Actually not so
expensive as some of the alternatives, and just transfer the drives, yucky.
But at least I'd possibly have a backup..

How far 'forward' (upgrade-euphemism) could you go and still have a real mac,
not a gates model, underlining the scoundrel behind the scene???
ttyl
MJ Raichyk

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:

    On Apr 18, 2012, at 12:43 AM, dect...@earthlink.net wrote:

    > Does this sound impossible to decently fix?  The website searches suggest
a power module replacement OR a motherboard.

    It sounds  like a power supply failure. Identifying the correct model of G4
would help. Further info can be gleaned from here:

    <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3082?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>
    <http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25585?viewlocale=en_US>
    <http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html>

    It could also possibly be a dead PRAM battery, which can definitely cause
the 'not starting up', but I'm not sure about the not waking up from sleep.

    It's also possible that the 'not waking from sleep' incident was not
related.

    The replacement PRAM battery is about $6-$15, so it's a very cheap fix.

    Radio shack carries 'em, they're a 1/2 AA sized 3.6V lithium cell.

    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrW3lrdye6I> this is a video fro a
"quicksilver" model, but it's pretty much the same for any model.

    --
    Bruce Johnson

    "Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD