From: "Jane Sprando" <janespra...@comcast.net>
To: "iMac list" <imaclist@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:56:44 PM
Subject: Re: Comcast modem, Airport Extreme and iMac

>Bruce Johnson < john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu >:

>So the process to replace your old router with the new is:

1) Pull the power plugs on both your old cable modem and your Airport.
2) Unplug the ethernet cable connecting the airport to the cable modem at the
cable modem.
3) Detach the incoming cable from the old modem.
4) Detangle the power brick from the old cable modem and unplug it from your
power strip.
5) Plug in the power brick for the new cable modem to the power strip.
6) Marvel at the ability of power brick manufacturers and power strip
manufacturers to consistently mis-match the orientation of power bricks and the
outlets on power strips :-)
7) Figure out how to re-arrange all your power-bricks to make them all fit.*
8) Attach the incoming cable to the new cable modem.
9) Attach the ethernet cable from the Airport.
10) Plug in the power to the Airport, wait until it’s all ready to go.
11) Plug in the power to the new cable modem, wait for das blinkenlights to do
their blinkenlight thing.

>That’s it. You should now have internet access as before. Honestly you
>probably only have to ever unplug the ethernet cable from the Airport instead
>of powering it off as well, but rebooting them on occasion >cannot hurt. Also
>Step 7 usually requires unplugging it anyway :-)>

>Bruce Johnson
>University of Arizona
>College of Pharmacy
>Information Technology Group>

>Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

Bruce, followed your instructions and was ALMOST successful!

I installed the new Comcast modem yesterday. The iMac, iPad, iPhone and laptops
can all get on the net and print. However, the phone is another problem!

All the lights light up on the modem, including the phone. I have a dial tone
and can call out, but no incoming calls! I didn't discover this until yesterday
afternoon. (Wondered why the phone hadn't rung!) I called Comcast and they
activated the phone service --- still no incoming calls! The tech worked at
various things for almost an hour, but no incoming. All we get is a short blip
on the CORDLESS --- nothing on the landline! So the tech escalated the problem,
but we still don't have service!

Today I tried plugging a landline phone in my office into the Modem jack and
calling. Only that phone rang and we could answer it. The other phones didn’t
ring. I unplugged the single phone and plugged in the wall phone jack again. I
kept the office phone unplugged and unplugged the cordless phones. I called my
number and the land phone in the kitchen rang ------- only that phone and not
others throughout the house!

Has this happened to anyone? Any solutions?

Jane
On Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:58:26 PM UTC-7, joh...@pharmacy.arizona.edu
wrote:

On Aug 21, 2014, at 12:43 PM, janes...@comcast.net wrote:

> Stats: Intel Core i3 3.06 GHz
> 10.6.x Snow Leopard
> Airport Extreme 802.11n
> Comcast modem with telephony
>
> Comcast has decided that I need a new modem and is sending one to me. I am
> supposed to install it myself.
>
> Currently my set-up is iMac>Airport>modem. I have no problems connecting to
> the internet with desktop, laptops and iPad 4 and all using the same printer.
>
> However, Comcast is recommending that I connect the modem to the iMac and not
> use the Airport. I don't know what to do. If I discontinue using the Airport,
> how does it affect my home network?

Comcast are morons. They’re afraid you might get your icky macness all over
their techies if they try to help you. Also, they still labor under the silly
misapprehension that people only own one computer, and it is connected directly
to their modem.

It should be as simple as powering down the airport, plugging in the new modem,
plugging in the airport and powering it up.

If the new modem has wifi capabilities you will see a new wifi network appear;
you should be able to connect to it via whatever interface the modem/router
offers and turn it off.

On the other hand, if your current airport is old, and the new modem offers,
(for example ) 802.11n speeds, it might be advantageous to set everything up on
the new system.

If it’s just ethernet, and connects just to the iMac definitely just swap it
out in your existing setup Comcast modem->Airport->everything else.

> What set up would you recommend? If I use the same set up that I have, does
> the Airport impede the Internet speeds? Currently, I am getting 28.8Mbps
> download (Ping 31ms; IPv4); 5.78 Mbps upload [from Comcast's speed test] We
> have Comcast Performance and not the higher price Blast.

In almost all cases the Wifi speed is greater than your internet connection, so
it shouldn’t matter. (also use something like DSL Reports for speed testing.
ISP's lie. The other night my internet seemed quite slow, and lo and behold,
testing several different destination points with DSL reports told me my speed
was abysmally slow (around 600kb/sec.) Cox’s own speed test cheerfully reported
5Mb/s.)
--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group

---
Groups "iMac Group" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/imaclist/4Z8xBlGOWCg/unsubscribe .
imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com .

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.