I've noticed this to be an issue with my 2008 iMac 24". The original 750 GB
HDD was greyed out by Disk utility, and wasn't even remotely capable of
being formatted, citing a "unable to mount disk" issue everytime.

I went the hard way and disassembled the entire machine, replacing the HDD
with another one, though, I feel there are other possible solutions.
On Mar 6, 2016 13:52, "Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

> > On Mar 5, 2016, at 5:43 PM, geof...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > When I boot off DVD, the iMac won't recognise this disk -
> >     diskutil shows the name, but says it is 0 bytes and
> >       won't allow format (greyed out).
>
> Are you looking at the disk itself in Disk utility or the volume? It could
> simply be unpartitioned, and so you have to do that, but you only get that
> option if you select the disk, not the volume.
>
> It could also be a DOA disk…your iMac should have no problems with a SATA
> III drive.
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

> ---
> "iMac Group" group.
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.