From: Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
To: imaclist <imaclist@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, May 17, 2016 11:44 am
Subject: Re: Help

On May 17, 2016, at 6:35 AM, davidw1235 via iMac Group
<imaclist@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I have an imac G5, Powermac8,2 running Leopard. Recently it's been acting
weird.
I am unable to move any folders on the desktop, I can open folders, and launch
Applications, but I can't drag and drop anything.
The Desktop picture/background no longer chganges upon restart, before it
changed each time it started up.
    the Desktop always starts up with the same window open no matter what. and
Yes, I have closed it and restarted.
Some Applications, like AOL won't start upi. Persistence helps but not always.

Stupid zeroth step: try a different mouse. A mouse with a flaky left button
will produce the “I can start things but not drag and drop” symptoms.

In fact I had that very experience just last week. Suddenly the Finder became
weirdly unresponsive…the trackball pointer moved around, right-click worked,
but I couldn’t click on anything. It was particularly annoying because the
little microswitch was making the same noise and same ‘click’ feel, usually
they’re clearly mushy or no longer ‘click’ when pressed. Replacing my trackball
fixed it. Any three button USB mouse will work properly in OS X.

Can you drag folders around in finder Windows? Ie: is it only your Desktop
folder that’s affected?

First step: Start in safe mode. Shut the Mac down, and hold down the Shift key
while starting up. Keep holding it until the progress bar appears. This deletes
some program caches and such that may cause this behavior. Once it starts up
and comes to the login prompt, you can restart immediately in normal mode.

Second step : Delete Finder and Desktop preferences. Go to your Library folder
(in finder Go > Library), find the Preferences folder and find the files
com.apple.desktop.plist and com.apple.finder.plist move them to the trash and
restart.

if it persists still, boot from your leopard installer DVD and select Disk
Utility from the Utilities menu and check your hard drive.

If the drive checks out ok, and all of the above have not fixed it, reboot to
your computer, go into System Preferences and create a new Administrative user
account.

Log off and back in as the new user and see if you still have the problems. If
you do, this is something related to the system and re-installing OS X should
fix it.

If you don’t have the problems, then the issue is something with your regular
user account. Re-installing OSX doesn’t fix this; but diagnosing the issue will
taske some detective work.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---