Il giorno 05/08/16 02.19, "Al Poulin" ha scritto:

> My workhorse is the last 24 inch iMac that Apple produced. Running 10.9.5
> Mavericks.
I have a similar iMac to yours, mine is just a 2,93 GHz.
I usually run OSX 10.6, but I have and use 10.9 also.
Never experienced issues like yours.

> When waking from sleep, occasionally the display will scramble for about 5 or
> 10 seconds
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you mean with "scramble"...?
Maybe a picture could be useful to understand. Can you take a picture of the
screen?

> This seems to happen more when multiple
> screens are left open, even as few as three.
Do you mean screens or windows?

> Or, it may go black for a few seconds and then settle down.
With "settle down", do you mean going back to normal?s

The "go black" make me think about hardware issues. Never seen before on
this kind of Macs. Unless you have some strange kind of software loading
while starting up.

> This has been happening for two or three years, but seems to be more often
> now.
If had been happening for such a long time, it isn't likely it's hardware;
hardware issues usually become worse within some months/days.

Although it _could_ be some connection issue: maybe the video cable is not
connecting perfectly. But in this case the issue would present itself again
and again, not just after boot.

> If this is hardware, should I eventualIy expect total failure of the screen to
> display properly and prevent access to the system?
If it's the video hardware, yes, it's going to die sooner or later.

One test you can do to check if it's the iMac video: if you have another Mac
handy, connect them thru a Firewire cable, and boot the iMac in Target disk
mode:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Disk_Mode

The you can work on the iMac disk (even boot I think), controlling it from
the other Mac, and check if the issue happens that way, too:
- if it's software, it will happen (because you will be using the iMac
software)
- if it's hardware it should not.

HTH,
Valter

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.