On 23/07/2013 01:36, Tim Angus wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:36:18 -0500 Harley wrote:
>> It looks like the culprit is the range check (MASK_REG in the new vm)
>> for OP_STORE4. Commenting out MASK_REG under that case seems to make
>> UrbanTerror 4.2 load up. I haven't actually tried a real game though.
>
> This is probably indicative of a bug in Urban Terror. We have hacks in
> sound backends to work around UrT's misuse of the API, but in that case
> it's not harmful. Removing a range check would mean compromising
> security for the sake of UrT. Hmmm.

Well, given the issue I think that the VM should be fixed rather
than changing ioq3. I build standalone binaries for UT, where I can
remove the alignment enforcement without affecting the general ioq3
packages.

I wonder how much overhead would be produced by reporting unaligned
data access (OP_LOAD* and OP_STORE*) instead of just force-aligning
stuff.