On 26 July 2013 08:53, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nus...@suse.de> wrote:
..

> That's a sad attitude :-( Didn't they use a fork of ioq3 to make it look
> like a standalone game?

With my own engine (Telejano) I tried to help people doing that. I
embedded the font file (a png) in the binary  (and made missing
resources non-fatal) so if you execute the engine in a folder with
absolutelly no data, It will stil run.

The idea was that some modding team will take the engine, add gameplay
(progs.dat) and some self-made resources and distribute the result.
Is possible to distribute a game like that commercially, but will be
complicated (being the engine GPL, you can't have the engine in the
same zip file propietary data) ... doable.

I think ioQuake3 spirit is to become the best "stock engine",  support
everything that the id binaries support, and do the better work
possible, but not deviate from what that engine did.  Something like a
time capsule that never evolve, just become a better faithfull itself.
  And thats ok.

On my definition of standalone:

Standalone Mod =  "Open source engine (or licensed from game company)"
 + "Medias you have right to distribute"

The "problem" with mods is that are confined to players of the game.
The number of players of a game normally shring with time, so if the
game is old, you have a small public to give your game.   By making a
mod standalone, your public can be the total of gamers in the world.
From maybe 5.000 possible players to maybe 5.000.000,

ℱin del ℳensaje.