On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:11:24 -0400 (EDT)
Dan Lanciani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IPv6 offers absolutely nothing as a
> replacement for NAT's primary function:  isolation of the customer network
> from the (typically business-driven) address policies of the service
> provider(e.g., cost, limits on number and stability, etc.).

NAT isolates customer networks from upstream address policies only by severely
limiting their functionality.  The functionality of an IPv6 network is better
than that of a NATted IPv4 network even if the IPv6 address changes
frequently.

However I agree that we  need to define some expectations about address
stability - both to serve as models for service agreements between customers
and ISPs, and to serve as guidance for applications developers.

Keith