Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 24 okt 2003, at 18:14, Hans Kruse wrote:
>
> > 2.  Several folks stumbled over the wording (in section 1.0) that
> > "applications may treat these address[sic] like global scoped
> > addresses". How about:
>
> > "Applications may treat these addresses like global scoped addresses;
> > such applications will function correctly within the reach of the
> > local addresses.  Sites using a mixture of Globally Routable and Local
> > addresses may experience sub-optimal application behaviour, see
> > sections 8.0-10.0 for further discussion".
>
> I think this will only confuse people who aren't aware of all the
> details. But the problem is more fundamental than wording issues
> anyway. The problem is that there are two types of uses for local
> addresses:
>
> 1. To number systems/interfaces that are only accessible from withing
> the local network.
>
> 2. To have stable addresses for systems/interfaces regardless of
> intermittant external connectivity and renumbering.

It's true that we *know* these addresses will be good for 1., and we
don't know whether they will be useful for all aspects of 2. So the
draft could indicate this.

> In the case of 1. the scope is site local, although the difinition of
> "site" may be subject to change. Being able to route these addresses
> throughout the internet would be more of a drawback than a usable
> feature, as packets using these addresses may not enter or leave the
> network. In the case of 2. having the addresses be globally routable
> throughout the internet would be extremely desirable: having addresses
> that are stable within the site is good, having addresses that are
> stable throughout the net is even better.
>
> If we recognize that unique local addresses will be used in both
> capacities and there is a significant chance that a locator/identifier
> separation mechanism could make these addresses globally usable (if not
> immediately routable), then it's obvious there are going to be
> problems. For instance, coming up with relatively simple filters that
> accommodate both uses of the addresses at the same time would be a big
> challenge. Having to change the default filtering policies that come
> with the OS for huge numbers of boxes would be another issue.

Maybe, but it's what people operating Net 10 VPNs do today (assuming the
boxes you mean are routers).

> I think that either it must be explicitly stated which type of
> addresses we're talking about here. It would probably be best to only
> specify type 1 and see what can be done for type 2 with
> locator/identifier separation mechanisms.

Let's exclude nothing. We don't need to be categorical about "type 2".

   Brian