> > While I'd personally love to declare RFC 1918 "Historic", it really
is
> > completely IPv4 specific so we have no reason to reference it.
>
> I would agree that RFC1918 is pure v4 issue, but we will need take
into
> account that when these IPv4 networks are connected as part of IPv6
> networks
> we could get flooded with a lot of the ::10.x.x.x addresses that are
> supposed to be "site local" under IPv4, but are now neither site local
nor
> unique under IPv6.

Frankly, I don't believe that we should worry about net 10 in the site
local deprecation draft. The site local deprecation document is
specifically about the prefix 0xFEC0::/10. In any case, such addresses
are explicitly banned in the IPv6 addressing architecture. Section 2.5.5
of RFC 3513 states:

   Note: The IPv4 address used in the "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address"
   must be a globally-unique IPv4 unicast address.

Why should we deprecate an address format that is already illegal?

-- Christian Huitema