[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

An IPv6 node must include support for one or more IPv6 link-layer
specifications. Which link-layer specifications are included will depend upon what link-layers are supported by the hardware
available on the system. It is possible for a conformant IPv6
node to support IPv6 on some of its interfaces and not on others.

<JAL> proposed text is good.

Yes.

   The capability of being a final destination MUST be supported,
   whereas the capability of being an intermediate destination MAY be
   supported (i.e. - host functionality vs. router functionality).

Is there a reason for this particular wording? "Intermediate destination" is not a term that I'm familiar with. Perhaps
this could be better said: "All conformant IPv6 implementations
MUST be capable of sending and receving IPv6 packets; forwarding
functionality MAY be supported"? Or are you trying to say more
here?

<JAL> proposed text is good.

Yes.

4.5 Addressing

Currently, there is discussion on support for site-local addressing.

Either say more or leave this out?  When published as an RFC, this
document will live long term, so the word "currently" is a bit
vague.  Since we are deprecating site-local, I think that you
could just omit any mention of it.

<JAL> proposal is good.

Right.

4.6 Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) for IPv6 - RFC2710

   If an application is going to join any-source multicast group
   addresses, it SHOULD implement MLDv1. When MLD is used, the rules in
   "Source Address Selection for the Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD)
   Protocol" [RFC-3590] MUST be followed.

If I understand correctly, these nodes could support either
MLDv1 or MLDv2.

The document already allows either MLDv1 or MLDv2 to be used. And yes, MLDv2 is backwards compatible to MLDv1 as John pointed out.

Perhaps the only question that I have left is... whether
IPv6 nodes should support MLDv2 instead of MLDv1. The
node requirements document and the MLDv2 draft intro
gives the impression that the only difference is
source-specific filtering. Then the current node
reqs rules make sense. But Appendix B of the MLDv2
draft seems to list a number of other modifications,
including some enhancements to robustness. Are these
important? I'm not an expert enough to determine that.

5.3 Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) - RFC3315

I think that you should be explicit, throughout this section,
that you are talking about DHCPv6.  In other words, replace
all occurances of DHCP with DHCPv6.  It is possible that nodes
may implement DHCP(v4), but not DHCPv6.

<JAL> Thought that would go without saying, but I'll be explicit noone gets confused.

Yes, DHCPv6 is better because we don't want to appear to be saying anything about IPv4...

--Jari