On 2003-11-25, Fred Templin wrote:

> RFC 2461 specifies the behavior of traditional routers (i.e., "ROUTERS").
> "ROUTERS" typically advertise autoconfig parameters and prefixes from
> their attached networks. Hosts use them to reach off-link nodes via default
> or more-specific routes. But, a new breed of routers (i.e., "routers") is
> emerging from paradigms such as Mobile Ad-hoc Networks. "routers"
> typically advertise host routes only (aka, "addresses" or "locators") and
> no prefix or autoconfig parameters at all.
> [...]
> In the MANET paradigm, "routers" often have only a single network
> interface which may be used for multi-hop forwarding [...]

Firstly, I don't think differentiating 'router' and 'ROUTER' is
a good idea.  I for one would find it hard to follow in conversation :-)

I think the usual definition of Router is a good one -- a Router
is a node which forwards packets.

It seems to me that the confusion is not in the definition of
Router, but in the definitions of 'Interface', 'Link' and 'Network',
which don't generally take wireless into account.

-----Nick