(Tai out v6ops list..)

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Nick 'Sharkey' Moore wrote:
> On 2003-11-25, Fred Templin wrote:
> >
> > RFC 2461 specifies the behavior of traditional routers (i.e., "ROUTERS").
> > "ROUTERS" typically advertise autoconfig parameters and prefixes from
> > their attached networks. Hosts use them to reach off-link nodes via default
> > or more-specific routes. But, a new breed of routers (i.e., "routers") is
> > emerging from paradigms such as Mobile Ad-hoc Networks. "routers"
> > typically advertise host routes only (aka, "addresses" or "locators") and
> > no prefix or autoconfig parameters at all.
> > [...]
> > In the MANET paradigm, "routers" often have only a single network
> > interface which may be used for multi-hop forwarding [...]
>
> Firstly, I don't think differentiating 'router' and 'ROUTER' is
> a good idea.  I for one would find it hard to follow in conversation :-)
>
> I think the usual definition of Router is a good one -- a Router
> is a node which forwards packets.
>
> It seems to me that the confusion is not in the definition of
> Router, but in the definitions of 'Interface', 'Link' and 'Network',
> which don't generally take wireless into account.

I agree with this view, it's no use trying to overload two different
meanings for a router depending on capitalization.

I don't think it matters at all whether a router has just one
interface or many, or what it advertises or not, or whether it
pretends to be a host on one interface, or originates UDP/TCP packets,
or whatever.  It's still a router.