On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > We know that EDNS0 works. Mark did a good description of the present
> > state. I see nothing to the contrary. It is A Good Thing to endorse
> > EDNS0 in a document like this, because it could speed up deployment.
>
> I am not an expert with EDNS0, but reviewing this thread, it seems
> that the client support for EDNS0 is what is lacking, most servers
> support it already.  What I think this means is that a SHOULD in
> the requirements shouldn't cause operational difficulties.  If I
> am correct, then, what would be the problem with listing EDNS0
> as a SHOULD?  If we do this, we may get more clients to support
> EDNS0.

As practically zero stub resolvers enable EDNS0 by default (I don't
know of any) and only a few implement it at all, I think it is
premature to say that we know it "just plain works" (without any
adverse effects etc.).

I don't think we have much real deployment experience, from the node
perspective, yet.