I changed the subject because I believe this is a separate issue.

>> This issue was originally posted by Ken Powell in February 2000:

>> I was able to force the preferred lifetime to zero by reconfiguring
>> a router to send advertisements with near-zero lifetimes, but the
>> valid lifetime couldn't be reduced below two hours.

> Question: did advertizing the prefix with both lifetimes = 0 not
> mean that the hosts stopped thinking that the prefix was on-link?

Ahh, another good catch.  RFC2461 clearly says this point:

   Stateless address autoconfiguration [ADDRCONF] may in some
   circumstances increase the Valid Lifetime of a prefix or ignore it
   completely in order to prevent a particular denial of service attack.
   However, since the effect of the same denial of service targeted at
   the on-link prefix list is not catastrophic (hosts would send packets
   to a default router and receive a redirect rather than sending
   packets directly to a neighbor) the Neighbor Discovery protocol does
   not impose such a check on the prefix lifetime values.
(Section 6.3.4)

So, this is actually a non-issue.  And, in fact, I've implemented the
prefix information processing this way, but I totally forgot it...

We may probably want to add a similar note in rfc2462bis, but my
current impression is that the note in RFC2461 is enough.

So, I'll basically do nothing on this.

Thanks,

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.