In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "James Kempf" writes:
>>> I think it might be wise to discuss whether the document
>> > should continue to
> >> recommend IPsec with the Security ADs and get some input
> >> from the community
> >> and the security directorate.
> >> draft-arkko-manual-icmpv6-sas-01.txt outlines
> >> some scalability problems with IPsec, even if manual keying
> >> is used, as you
> >> mention below. There is a potential deployment issue as to
> >> what constitutes
> >> a "small" network and at what point the network hits the
> >> scalability barrier
> >> when the network provider will have to completely
> >> reconfigure their network
> >> and turn SEND on. I'm not sure whether it makes sense to
> >> recommend manual
> >> keying for small networks when SEND would work as well and
> >> wouldn't require
> >> a flag day reconfigure if the network grew too large. Also,
> >> manual keying
> >> doesn't make sense for zeroconf networks, because it isn't
> >> zeroconf. The ND
> >> part of SEND could be used for disconnected zeroconf
> >> networks, and the
> >> router part could too if the host came preconfigured with a
> >> collection of
> >> cert trust anchors.
>>

>> => I just want to clarify one thing: it is not my intention
>> to recommend IPsec in any way. I just wanted to mention
>> when it can be used and its limitation. I can add something
>> to say that SEND is the preferred option in general. If the WG
>> wants to remove any reference to IPsec I'm happy to do that
>> too.
>>

>Sure, I understand.
>
>My preference would be to say that use of IPsec is deprecated, since, as
>outlined above, there may be significant deployment consequences if it is
>used, and having one way to do something is generally simpler than having
>many.
>
>What do other WG members think?
>
>Also, what do the Security ADs (cc'ed) think?

One of the major conclusions of SEND was that IPsec for neighbor
discovery didn't work very well.  Given that, and given that we have a
replacement coming, I have no objection.

However...  2461 is at Draft.  I'll have to figure out the procedural
consequences of such a change at this point.  Of course, I also have
to figure out the consequences of not making the change....