On 2004-02-23, Francis Dupont wrote:
> [JINMEI Tatuya wrote:]
> >
> >    - whether omitting/optimizing DAD is a good idea
>
> => IMHO this is the same thing, i.e., optimizing gives the same result
> than omitting.

Omitting DAD altogether removes the ability to detect and correct
address collisions, whereas optimizations such as Optimistic DAD
mean that while there may be a short term disruption the problem
will be detected and corrected.

> >    - (if yes) in which case we can omit DAD
> >    - DAD vs DIID
>
> => the last one finished by a decision (DAD, not DIID). I asked the
> WG chairs to clarify this point at a previous meeting, cf
> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02jul/145.htm
> look at "DAD vs. DIID Discussion -- Chairs", BTW slides are at
> http://playground.sun.com/ipng/presentations/July2002/yokohama-dad-vs-diid.pdf

Which is great, and will be even better when 2461/2bis are adopted,
but there are already many implementations out there.  Thus my
suggestion in Optimistic DAD section 3.4 that when configuring an
address PREFIX::SUFFIX, you should be sure toalso configure and
check LINKLOCAL::SUFFIX.

Is this going to be required by 'new' DAD?  I'm not 100% sure about
the DAD vs DIID changes yet.

-----Nick