On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > I've been thinking about this issue for a while.  Currently, I'm not
> > sure if we need to do something in rfc2462bis for this issue.
> (snip)
> > Please someone clarify this point.  Then I'll consider what is
> > necessary for rfc2462bis (or whether we need to do something in the
> > first place) for this matter.
>
>       i guess it is either:
>       - interface ID is always 64 bit, no matter what.  addr-arch should be
>         simplified and state that interface ID is 64 bit.
>       - stateless addrconf (and maybe ND?) is currently defined only for
>         unicast prefixes starting with "001", where interface ID is 64 bit.
>         stateless addrconf (and maybe ND) for other unicast prefixes is left
>         as a homework for readers.

How about:

        - stateless address autoconf is only defined when the prefix
is 64 bits.  If the received router advertisement has some other
prefix length, don't use the prefix.

I guess this is close to your first assumption -- only, I would
probably not revise addr-arch at all.  That's beyond the scope of this
document IMHO.