Sorry for not responding sooner...

>> I know the IETF isn't the most appropriate place to discuss this type
>> of thing, but does it help to write a short informational I-D
>> describing the specification with some recommendation?

> We have received many questions from vendors about what APIs can provide
> the same information as the SIOCGIFaaa ioctls, for IPv6
> addresses/interfaces.  I thought that this subject may have been discussed
> as part of the IPv6 API discussions that produced the basic/advanced
> socket RFCs.  So, if getifaddrs(3) seems to be the de facto standard for
> retrieving this information, then I think it would be great if the IPv6
> working group published something to try to recommend it as the standard
> for this function, in order to ensure greater portability of applications.

I don't think getifaddrs(3) is a defact standard for now (only a few
platforms support it), but I believe we need this kind of high level
interface and getifaddrs(3) can be a good candidate for this purpose.

> In regards to getifaddrs(3), for IPv6 I assume that the netmask field
> contain a 16-octet mask in the sockaddr_in6 structure, correct?  There
> doesn't appear to be a returned field that contains the prefix length.

Yes, that's correct.  getifaddrs(3) is designed as a generic,
AF-independent library, so it returns a netmask even for an IPv6
address.  Applications need to convert the netmask to a prefix length
if necessary.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.