Jinmei - I mistyped and you guessed what I had intended to ask.  Good catch
and thanks for the clarification.

Can anyone supply a direct reference to an explicit statement that "a DS
spec cannot have a normative reference to a PS spec."?

- Ralph

At 04:52 PM 3/4/2004 +0900, JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= wrote:

>> In the wg meeting on Tuesday, several concerns were raised regarding
>> this issue (and the proposed resolution).  To summarize (some of)
>> them,
>>
>> 1. the resolution proposes to say "the stateful protocol is DHCPv6"
>> clearly, without leaving other possibilities.  This would require
>> RFC3315 (DHCPv6) to be listed as a normative reference.  However,
>> we'll then face a reference dependency issue, since rfc2462bis is
>> soon expected to be recycled as a DS while RFC3315 is still a PS.
>> (BTW: I could not find a direct source of this dependency issue.
>> Could someone give me a pointer?)

> Do you mean that a DS spec cannot have an informative reference to a PS spec?

No, my understanding is:

- a DS spec cannot have a normative reference to a PS spec. (though I
  could not find a direct source of this dependency rule)
- a DS spec can have an informative reference to a PS spec.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.